Go Back   Homestead Garden Forums > Our Homes > Homesteading, Country & Farm Life > Livestock-Animals

Livestock-Animals Housing them, fields, fences, home butchering, vetting, grooming, raising, handling, reproduction, pigs, goats, emus, beekeeping, rabbits, shearing sheep, poultry, waterfowl, and country pets etc

Unread 01-26-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
francismilker
Daisy

Default What's happening on the Homestead everyone?

I haven't noticed any new activity from you guys in a few days so I thought I'd try to spark up interest in a new thread. What's been going on with you guys around the homestead?

For me it's been like this: Milk in the morning, wade through lots of good ol' Winter mud, milk in the evening, wade through more mud!

The Jersey I'm currently milking is nearing her dry-off period. She's 6+ bred and I'm starting to notice a calf gut on her. I'll continue with her for another 2-3 weeks and then bring in an Ayshire I have in the pasture that I'm using as a nurse cow to raise a few calves on. The ayrshire is gentle enough to handmilk but doesn't have much patience for standing over 5 minutes so I imagine there being a 1-2 week learning experience for both of us. I'm gonna miss the little gentle jersey that's totally content to patiently stand while being milked and look forward to her next freshening.

In other news, the chickens have for the most part went on strike in the egg factory. I think it must be due to recent cold temps and lack of daylight. The beef bull has covered all the cows and I'm looking forward to a calf crop beginning in mid May.

God Bless everyone!
francismilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
billowbeard
Daisy

Default Re: What's happening on the Homestead everyone?

It has been quiet on the list.

I have been hibranting in Ohio, and resting up from all the Fall and Holiday chores. January is my resting month.

I've been cooking foods from the garden that I put up last summer, watching the shelves get empty and thinking about what I'd like to can (bottle) more of next summer and what I need less of.

I have sat down with my almanac and figured out my planting schedule for this spring. I force myself to wait until February to crack open the seed catalogs because it would just be cruel to do it any earlier than that! I can't start my seedlings until the end of March....

I have also congratulated myself a couple times this past month on NOT having any animals in the barn to feed. That way, I don't have to bundle up twice a day and trudge out in the snow and cold....although we have started feeding a stray cat under the barn because we feel sorry for her.
Unread 01-26-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
rockguy
Daisy

Seems like there's always a stray cat...
Good plan to not have animals in the winter
rockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Capt Quirk
Daisy

Things have slowed down a bit for us here. The little cabin has a doorway and window cut, and the roof is framed. Between the cold and the rain, we just haven't been too active.
Capt Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
billowbeard
Daisy

Capt, what is your family living in right now during the cabin building process? Has it been real cold in your neck of the woods? I hope you post some pictures soon.
Unread 01-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
dirtyhandsnknees
Daisy

I don't post here anymore because the owners of this site didn't lift a finger to help a senior poster defend herself against an old coot who's only claim to fame was posting boring gardening facts and pics. He didn't participate in any other way on here, but HE was allowed to continue while the senior poster was told to basically get over it, he's just old. ha. a bully is a bully imo. WE have moved to a nicer site.

aka: thefrug
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
dirtyhandsnknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
Capt Quirk
Daisy

Billow- we are renting a trailer, likely till spring... or the other cabin is done. My stepson is staying out there with the dog. It has gotten pretty cold on several nights, down into the 20's. On nights like that, he stays here.
Capt Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt Quirk For This Useful Post:
billowbeard (01-29-2010)
Unread 01-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #8
francismilker
Daisy

It appears we are bracing ourselves for a round of freezing rain/icestorm here in grand ol' Oklahoma! yippee! Gotta love those cracking tree limbs, frozen ponds, power outages, and frozen woodpiles!
Unread 01-29-2010, 01:59 AM   #9
billowbeard
Daisy

DH&K, Haven't seen that poster on since the ladies left. Thought you would like to know. I'm glad I wasn't a member when all that mess was happening. I do like this site, and hope it picks up again.
Unread 02-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
francismilker
Daisy

We ended up getting enough ice on the power lines to cause a three day power outage. Things are back up for the time and it's nice to have often taken for granted power at the receptacles. It sure is muddy at my place!

Tags
happening, homestead